The Cholsey WI is a relatively recently reformed enthusiastic group of women. It meets in the Main Hall of Cholsey Pavilion, Station Road on the fourth Wednesday of the month, (please note this isn’t always the last Wednesday of the month)! The meeting starts at 7.30 pm and ends around 9.30 pm.
What can we offer?
Interesting speakers, a variety of activities and an opportunity to socialise. At our evening meetings we also have a raffle and book stall.
During the month we have a book club, that meets on a Friday morning, a Dinner Club that meets in various local eateries, a Craft Club that meets on an alternative Friday morning and a monthly walking club.
We also go on trips and join in county WI activities. This year is the 100th Anniversary of the WI so there are a few more activities planned in the year and Cholsey WI celebrates its 10th Anniversary. We also support the local Volunteer Car scheme and the local school, presenting a cup for the best eco enterprise of the year. You can join in as many or little of these activities as you wish.
Have you thought about coming along to an evening meeting? Visitors are welcome, we would appreciate a donation of £3.
More information about the WI and its ethos can be found on: http://www.thewi.org.uk/
The President – Jan Morgan 01491 651348, email@example.com
2018/19 Programme can can be found at: link
Photos of activities
- Activity pictures_1: HortSoc Show and Fencing
- Days for Girls
- Momena (Former President) with Cheryl Boorman, Chair of Oxford Federation
What we’ve done!
Chrissie Harper and her Owls – October, 2014
- Chrissie gave an interesting and lively talk about her owls. The talk included how she started looking after owls, how some of the owls come to her, how they are cared for and hopefully released. She explained how they hunt and where they make their nests, also that due to the weather and food supply some Barn Owls are having extra late clutches of eggs and there are concerns about how these will survive. They have had a record number of owls to look after this year. Nellie the Barn Owl flew over our heads but Reuben was ‘fed up’ and not interested in flying! We were able to get close to the owls, who it appeared didn’t seem to mind all the attention and photos. At the meeting Cholsey WI adopted one of her owls.
Christmas Craft session – November 2014
- A few of the members led craft sessions, which included making gift boxes, ‘sewing’ Christmas cards and decorations. There was also a quiz for the not so crafty minded!
WI Christmas meal – December 2014
- Our annual Christmas meal at the Red Lion Cholsey. A good time was had by all. It was lovely to be joined by the Silver Band and Carol singers.
Visit by Cheryl Boorman, Oxfordshire Federation and Bag-a-whist – January 2015
- We started the New Year with a chance to meet Cheryl Boorman, Oxfordshire Federation Chairman, seen here with our President Momena Wright. After our social we had a game of ‘Bag a whist’, an opportunity to meet other members, have a few games of whist, swopping some of our goodies from our gift bags and hoping we don’t go home with too many booby prizes!
Oxfordshire WI AGM March 2015
- Our guest speaker was Lucy Worsley, Chief Curator at Historic Palaces. She gave a talk on A Very British Murder, this has also been on TV. Our second speaker was Julie Summers who wrote the book Jambusters, the TV series Home Fires has been based on this book, we learned of the connection of Jam and WI and how it originated. Around Oxford Townhall the Oxfordshire WI were banners were displayed and with this setting the rendition of ‘Jerusalem’ was quite moving.
Talk given by Kate Lace Romantic fiction author – April 2015
- Her talk was entitled ‘From Guns to Hearts and Roses’. We all had a good laugh at some of her accounts of Army life and becoming a writer. Barbara Cartland she isn’t!.