This directory aims to list all community organizations, including some further afield that people in Cholsey may be interested in. They are listed below together with a brief summary of their primary focus, and a link to a website providing information wherever possible. If you have details of an organization that isn’t mentioned, or corrections for entries on this page then please Contact Us.
- Cholsey 1000 Plus – The Cholsey 1000 Plus is Cholsey’s Community Association which publishes the “Forty Magazine”, a local magazine distributed to each house in Cholsey 3-times a year. The association also organize a number of events that feature prominently in the Cholsey calendar.
- Cholsey Parish Council – Cholsey’s Parish Council manage all aspects of local adminstration, from planning applications to the allocation of allotments. Mark Gray is the Chair of the Parish Council and this site Tweets updates to his Blog.
- Cholsey Community Development Trust – A trust set up to oversee the integration of the new housing developments on the Fairmile Hospital site into the Cholsey community.
- Cholsey Neighbourhood Planning – The “Neighbourhood Plan” is a process for the community of Cholsey to help define its future for many planning needs, such as housing, traffic, transport, school, and other issues.
- Cholsey Tennis Club – What more can we say? Visit the site if you are interested in playing tennis.
- Cholsey Cricket Club – From the 2013 season Cholsey CC enter into possibly the most exciting phase in its history with a permanent move to the old Fairmile site.
- Cholsey United FC – Mens Football Club
- Cholsey Bluebirds FC – Football club for children
- Cholsey Golf Society – Provides opportunities for local golfers (and their friends) of all abilities to not only play regularly (monthly throughout the year at different courses in Oxfordshire, Berks, Bucks & Wilts) but also to enjoy the banter and social life of belonging to a friendly and very active Society.
- Cholsey Joggers – A “Run England” affiliated running society that provides introductory courses for those interested in taking up jogging as well as providing a focal point for more experienced runners
- CTC Wallingford – CTC affiliated cycle group for cyclists of all ages and abilities
- Wallingford Rugby Club – Juniors and seniors RFC
- The Barn Fitness Club – [Local Business] Fitness Club and Gym with annual, monthly and casual membership
Leisure and Countryside
- Cholsey and Wallingford Railway – Operators of the “Bunk” line between Cholsey and Wallingford, which runs on selected weekends and bank holidays. They maintain and operate a number of diesel locomotives and run steam trains on the line when available. Contact: email@example.com or answer phone: 01491 835067
- Cholsey Walking Group (SAS) – Meets 1st Tuesday of the month on the Forty, to join in contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cholsey Wildlife – A log of wildlife seen in and around the village of Cholsey
- Berks, Bucks, and Oxon Wildlife Trust – Cholsey Marsh Information
- Withymead Nature Reserve – Withymead Nature Reserve is situated between Goring-on-Thames and South Stoke in Oxfordshire and is a hidden gem that appeals to naturalists, walkers, artists and families.
- Thames Path Walk – Cholsey to Dorchester
- Cholsey Community Library – A volunteer library currently housed in the Cholsey Free Church. Community Free Library open for all. No joining fee but you can become a friend for a small annual fee. Free Loan/use of: Books, Talking Books, Childrens Library, Periodicals, Public Internet Access. Room hire.
- Creative Club – The club provides an opportunity for anyone with a creative interest to get together on a regular basis with other craft enthusiasts.
- The Wallingford Historical and Archeological Society (TWHAS) – Monthly speakers on local history in the Wallingford Town Hall.
- Forgotten Fairmile – A historical view of Fairmile, the place and the people.
- Sustainable Wallingford – A group of local residents who are committed to making our village more environmentally sustainable and reducing its ecological impact.
- Choko – Choko is a community linking charity that has the long-term aim to make a sustainable change to the lives of peple in Kodumela, South Africa. They also organize a great annual beer festival in Cholsey.
- Wallingford Bridge Club for daytime and evening Bridge both play and lessons.
- Wallingford Library – Council-funded local library
- St Mary’s Church – The local Anglican Parish Church is led by the Reverend Andrew Petit. As well as providing the usual services to the community, the church graveyard is also the final resting place of Agatha Christie.
- Cholsey Free Church – The village Baptist Church.
- Friends of Cholsey Parish Church – The Society of Friends of Cholsey Church has been in existence for forty years to draw together a like-minded body of people; ‘Friends’ who all love and care for St. Mary’s Church Cholsey and are willing to share in the privilege of preserving its ancient beauty and of handing on its glories for the future.
- Messy Church – A fun time for families to enjoy getting creative, cake and learning a little about God
Music and Theatre
- Cholsey Silver Band – The Cholsey Silver Band can trace its heritage back to 1847, and they appear at numerous local events providing excellent musical accompaniment to most major local events.
- Cholsey Community Choir – The choir meets at the Cholsey Free Church on Monday evening from 7.30-8.45pm. They welcome anyone with a desire to sing and a love of music! There are no auditions – just get in touch and go along.
- Cholsey & Wallingford Concert Band – friendly band that rehearses on Monday evenings at 7.30pm in the Great Hall, Cholsey Meadows. The repertoire includes classics from Mozart to Holst, traditional and modern marches, film and show tune favourites. It welcomes new members who can play to a high standard including Woodwind, brass, string bass and percussion.
- Cholsey Pantoloons – Our local Amateur Dramatics Society
- Cholsey Bellringers – The bells at St Mary’s are ancient and are rung before the Sunday service and the society practice regularly. Bellringing is an unusual hobby and is good for anyone who likes patterns and numbers.
- The Corn Exchange, Wallingford – A great independent local cinema and theatre
Children – Clubs and Schools
- 1st Cholsey Brownies – For girls aged 7-10 meeting at Laurence Hall on Mondays (during term time) from 1800hr until 1915 hrs. Contact Mrs Lizzie Tandy 07974 397738 or https://girlguiding.org.uk/parents__care.aspx and http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/
- Cholsey Guides – For girls aged 10 – 14. http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/guides/
- Cholsey Scouts – For boys and girls aged 10.5-14.5 years old.
- Cholsey Youth Club – For young people currently in years 7 and 8 at school.
- Boys Brigade and Girls Association – Activities to challenge the young persons Body, mind, spirit, creativity and community. Structured youth activities leading to awards. Includes competitions, sports adventure and the Duke of Edinburgh’s award.
- 1st Wallingford Company Boys’ Brigade & Girls Association – Mondays 6:30 at Ferry Lane, Cholsey Between Easter and the end of Sepember including school holidays (age 10+ only); Wednesdays at Methodist Church, St Leonards Square, Wallingford. Meet every Wednesday except during Summer and Easter Breaks.
- 3rd Wallingford (Cholsey) Boys’ Brigade and Girls Association – Tuesdays at the Free Church in Honey Lane, School term time only; Wednesdays Half Terms in October, February and May Meet at St Leonards Square, Wallingford
- Cholsey Holiday Playscheme (CHIPS) – Summer holidays 9am – 3pm, ages 5 – 11 in the Primary school.
- Tiny Tigers Mixed Martial Arts – Improves co-ordination and mental focus for 2-6 year-olds.
- Little Fishes – A parent and toddler group open to anyone: mum, dad, nanny, granny who cares for a child under 5 years. The group is run by members of St Mary’s church has the usual mix of toys and craft activities, plus a very large garden with an enormous sand pit for use on fine days.
- Cholsey Toddler Group – Thursday morning 9:30-11:30 at the Laurence Hall. It is run by
local mums (not for profit) and is open to all carers and preschool children.
- Shake and Make Club – Monday morning, term time, 9.45-10.45 at the Laurence Hall. The class is aimed at 2-5 year olds and are a combination of music, singing, craft and messy play. Contact Claire: 07909910788 and email email@example.com
- Bumps, Bundles and Tiny Tots Group. An informal group for local people with bumps and babies up to 18 months. Tea, coffee, chatting, meet other parents. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cholsey Pre-School – Cholsey Pre-school aims to provide high quality, affordable and accessible childcare for children aged two and a half years to five years, in a safe and supportive environment, and to work in partnership with parents, the Cholsey Primary School, Foundation Unit, and local authority, in the provision of childcare in Cholsey.
- Cholsey Primary School – The local primary school, in the village.
- Wallingford School – The local secondary school, in Wallingford.
- Cranford House School – A fee-paying school for girls aged 5-16 in Moulsford. It also has an Early Years Foundation Stage for 3-5 year olds.
- Moulsford Preparatory School – Moulsford Preparatory School is a fee-paying school for boys aged from four to thirteen.
- Cholsey Horticultural Society – The HortSoc has a trading store, runs the annual show and much more.
- Cholsey Allotments Protection Association (CAPA) – Looking after the needs of allotments and holders.
- Sustainable Cholsey – A Facebook Group aiming to improve sustainability and environmental impact in Cholsey
- Sustainable Wallingford – A Larger group working in Wallingford to create a sustainable environment in our area
Social Clubs and Services
- Cholsey Womens’ Institute (WI) – Meets the 4th Wednesday of the month at the Pavilion.
- Cholsey Day Centre Trust – Provides lunch and various activities for the members 3 days per week and a light tea on the second sunday of each month.
- Cholsey Day Centre –
- Fairmile Sports and Social Club – Sports and Social Club homed at the old Morning Star Pub
- Cholsey Five-0 –
- Wallingford Medical Practice – Local doctors’ surgery
- Wallingford House Dental (Rodericks) – Dental practice offering both NHS and private treatments
- Lawrence & Pinkerton – Dental practice offering only private treatments
- St Mary’s Dental Practice – Dental practice offering only private treatments
- Cholsey Complementary Health Centre – Is housed in the Cholsey Pavilion with two treatment rooms. Therapies offered include traditional acupuncture, herbal medicine, foot care, reflexology, massage and tui na/qi gong massage.
Food and Drink
- Red Lion Pub – Food and Drink
- Memories of Bengal – Indian Restaurant
- Shangki-Li – Chinese Restaurant above Tesco in the centre of the village
- The Cholsey Cafe – Friendly Cafe in the centre of the village
Shops and Businesses
- Tesco Express – Convenience store including the village post office
- Clippers – Hairdresser
- Stennings Hair Studio –
- Rowlands Pharmacy –
- RG Park, Butcher –