Cholsey can trace its history back at least as far as 986AD, when a royal nunnery, Cholsey Abbey, was founded in the village by Queen Dowager Ælfthryth on land given by her son, King Ethelred the Unready. Evidence of Bronze Age site has been found near the Thames in the North East of the parish, and the pre-Roman route, the Icknield Way crosses the Thames at Cholsey. (Thanks Wikipedia)
More recent history has been captured in a number of books written by local historians. Change at Cholsey is currently distributed by the Cholsey 1000 Plus. In 2013 they helped to publish a second book concentrating on the history of Winterbrook and Cholsey’s East End in the North of the Parish. Details of the Cholsey 1000 Plus publications are here.
Other publications include: Barrie Charles’s Crime and Calamity in Cholsey, which tells the story of the village through a number of scandals, tragedies and wrong-doings affecting the Parish and his Cholsey’s Great War Dead detailing people of Cholsey being commemorated during the World War One centenary period in the village. Jeanne Money’s Cholsey School – Two Centuries of History and the most recent, by Ian Wheeler, is Fair Mile Hospital: a Victorian Asylum which portrays a typical example of the nation’s network of county asylums, drawing on official archives, local knowledge and the author’s fourth-generation connections with the hospital.